Friday, May 6, 2011

Sydney Fashion Week - Final Day

Well it's the end of Sydney Fashion Week 2011. And what a week! After five days, 16 hour days and 40 individual runway shows. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit 'fashioned out' by day five. I did find myself needing a runway show fix this morning as much as my double shot flat white.


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke




When judging each show. I found the best comparison was a little like going to a new bar or club. There's a VIP and general access line. You look at the crowd and see how many hot girls there are peppered in to judge what the atmosphere of the show would like. Does the music work well with the look? And does it keep the crowd upbeat? All brands only get one chance to impress people with a fashion show.


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke


Photo by Macushla Burke

In the past couple days, most shows I have been commentating have been offering a perspective of 95% women's fashion. It was great to finally see some men's fashion today and put my judging skills to the test. Two labels- Saint Augustine Academy and Arj Selvam incorporated men's garments with women's collections. I was impressed. 16 hole lace up boots, cowboy boots and open-toed sandals were the choice of footwear with structured style clothing from suits with 3/4 pants or over-sized coats and paisley printed shirts. The colours were quite dark using tans, greys, blacks and whites. I personally wouldn't wear the entire outfits, yet there were key pieces I would add to my own wardrobe to enhance my style.


After being given the task of writing my experience & interpretation from a 'blokes' perspective, who didn't have a great deal of knowledge for women's fashion and fashion events. I'll take away from this week a new appreciation for the many layers of the fashion industry and how I will apply the creative process to my own work in lifestyle design. I must acknowledge the friendly staff and all the teams that organised and made my experience at Sydney Fashion Week 2011 run so smoothly.

Good luck to all the designers that were a part of this year's Sydney Fashion Week.

No comments: